Monday, October 30, 2006

How cheap is my love?

Guess what tomorrow is?

Halloween, you say? Who cares. It's the day House finally returns after the baseball hiatus. Not only that, but it's the start of a guest run by Dr. Boomer, one of my early crushes. (Though I have to admit, the less obvious charms of David Morse in St. Elsewhere had some slight competition from that show's Mark Harmon and Denzel Washington.) I worry about what the new House competition might do to CBC's Intelligence, but I can only do my part by watching them both. I know, I'm a hero.

Coincidentally, in today's mail I got a couple of House reminders. First was my Amazon order of the first two seasons of A Bit of Fry and Laurie on DVD, which I absolutely did not illegally download a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed and was therefore eager for the official DVD release. No sirree.

Second was a 3 lbs screener from CBS, in a much fancier package than normal, with a cool picture of a brain scan on the cover. I may be squeamish about the blood and guts, but I'm all about the brain. Plus it came with a present: a brain squeezy ball. I love CBS.

Yes, my affection can be bought for the price of a 10 cent squeezy ball. Fox never gives me presents. Except, I guess, a show I love more than my brain tells me is reasonable.

There's no guarantee I'll love 3 lbs as much as the cool present. While I tend to like medical shows in general, I'm both curious and a little wary of just how House-like this one sounds, focused as it is on a cranky, troubled, but brilliant neurosurgeon. There was room on my schedule last season for both House and Grey's Anatomy because of how different they are. I don't know if I could watch a show that feels like House-lite, and I don't think any show could do what House does better.

Still, a premise doesn't really say much about how I'll respond to a show. And speaking of crushes, it stars Stanley Tucci. He was just another solid character actor to me until Big Night, a movie that had the distinction of most surprisingly effective use of a former Wings cast member until Studio 60. Tucci co-wrote and co-directed the lovely, sweet (and other less girly adjectives) movie about two brothers, played by Tucci and a post-Wings, pre-Monk Tony Shalhoub, who concoct an elaborate meal in their failing restaurant in preparation for a potentially business-saving visit by Louis Prima. It'll make you laugh, make you cry, make you really, really hungry.

Anyway, I'll write an actual review after I've actually watched 3 lbs (I think CBS wants me to call it 3LBS but I can't quite manage that yet). In the meantime, I've got some Hugh Laurie and Stanley Tucci to watch.