Monday, June 18, 2007

All power to Cat Power

I'm catching up on my reading after being away for a week, and was happy to discover that Cat Power (aka Chan Marshall) got some nice recognition by becoming the first woman to win the Shortlist Music Prize for The Greatest. I was confused when some reports called it an award for "emerging artists" while mentioning that one of the other contenders was Tom Waits, who's been around for about a hundred and fifty years. The more precise explanation is that it's for albums that have not attained gold status, but that doesn't fit in a headline very well.

That in itself puzzled me. Hasn't Grey's Anatomy discovered her yet and caused her career to skyrocket? I guess she'll have to wait her turn. Anyway, here's a few songs while we wait.

Lived in Bars



Where is my love?



Love and Communication